Feeds are a way to pull information from another source or website automatically onto your page. You can use them for a blog, FIU News, FIU Calendar, and more. All you need to create a feed is a URL (the source of your feed) and potentially a tag so that your feed only includes relevant topics.
For example: if I want a student-focused website to have a news feed, I could choose the "Student Success" tag from FIU News to populate a feed with only stories tagged with those keywords.
In addition to feeds, you can create a complex list that is searchable and filterable using Searchable List. A list can include degrees, personal profiles, links to resources, or whatever you choose. See examples.
Creating a feed
- Most options* require that you create a block before adding this component to a page. To do so, click the pink + 'Add Content' button in the top corner. Select Default > Block > Feed.
- Open a new tab to copy the URL of the source of your feed. It should look like this https://news.fiu.edu/tag/Student%20Success/feed but will vary depending on the source.
- Paste that link into the Feed URL Generator. Copy the generated URL.
- Go back to Cascade and paste that URL into the block. You must fill out the 'Feed Block Name' and 'Feed URL' fields. Then submit to create the block.
- Edit the page where the feed will be added. In a new content area, select Lists and Feeds from the drop down under ‘Select a Type’. Choose from the options listed on this page.
- * To create a Featured Event, simply fill out the required fields. Add more events by clicking the green + sign on the first event.
- * Some options such as Searchable List and Profiles don't require feeds. Contact us for assistance to create a new list.